At Apley Wood Primary School our PSHE programme of study is called Character Education. Alongside our whole school approach and ethos, this allows us to fulfil our statutory responsibilities to:
- Promote the physical, social and emotional well-being of pupils.
- Provide relationships education
- Promote British Values.
- Provide a safe place for discussion of current, relevant social issues.
- Protect our children from radicalisation.
We also believe that it is very important for children to be provided with high quality Sex Education lessons, which are delivered through our Living and Growing programme in the summer term.
It is our belief that PSHE must have a high priority within all areas of school life, since it is proven that a high quality PSHE curriculum improves children’s life chances. As such, we share the following intentions for PSHE across our school community:
- All children should have a voice.
- There must be a consistent approach to PSHE not only through discrete lessons but equally in the general life of the school
- All pupils know what is expected of them and why
- Pupils are provided with a wide range of opportunities to reflect upon and discuss their beliefs, values, feelings and responses to personal experience
- Pupils develop an understanding of their individual and group identify
- Pupils develop an understanding of their social and cultural environment, and an appreciation of the many cultures that enrich our society
- Pupils are given many opportunities to explore social and moral issues, and develop a sense of social and moral responsibility
- The school community will ensure wide-ranging promotion of pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development in addition to their physical well-being, enabling them to thrive in a supportive, highly cohesive learning community.
- The curriculum is designed to enable pupils to develop the knowledge, skills and attributes they need to manage life’s challenges and make the most of life’s opportunities.
Our PSHE Leader is Miss L. Smith
Please see the resources below for more information about our PSHE curriculum.